The Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of anglers and conservationists. The HFFA is an affiliate of the Federation of Fly Fishers, FFF, an international fly fishing organization devoted to the promotion of all types of fly fishing and the protection of fly fishing water and their inhabitants. Established in 1975, our mission is four-fold:
- Promote awareness of and participation in fly fishing.
- Educate others in the joys and arts of fly fishing.
- Work to preserve and conserve those natural resources that are important to fly fishing.
- Enhance fellowship and camaraderie among fly fishers.
In fulfillment of its mission, the HFFA works to ensure that Iowa’s warm- and cold-water fisheries flourish now and for generations to come, serves Iowa’s outdoor enthusiasts as the primary source for fly fishing information and enjoyment, and enables anglers of all ages and skill levels in pursuing quality fly fishing experiences in our region.
Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association has three local clubs that hold meetings and organize activities on a regional basis.
Awards & Accomplishments
- In 1989, Governor Terry Branstad presented the club with the State of Iowa Governor’s Volunteer Award.
- In 2002, HFFA received the first IOWATER Award recognizing the volunteer activities of our members.
- The organization was awarded the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Outstanding Group Volunteer Award for 2008.
- HFFA was a leader in obtaining the Clean Water Act “Outstanding Iowa Waters” designation for our best trout streams.
- The HFFA is a member of the Clean Water Network, the Iowa Environmental Council, and Iowa’s Water and Land Legacy Coalition and partners with other conservation-minded organizations on the state and national levels. HFFA is an active participant in the Iowa Resources Enhancement and Protection program (REAP).
- HFFA has developed educational materials to inform others of the problems and issues affecting Iowa’s warm- and cold-water fisheries, and the sport of fly fishing.
Davis Horton, President
Ron Stahlberg, Vice President
John Carl Miller, Past President
Dave Jones, Secretary
Keith Wunder, Treasurer
West Des Moines, IA
Kate Lodge, Director
Quad Cities Chapter
Rob Kundert, Director
Martin Acerbo, Director
Central FF Chapter
Kirk Rosenow, Director
Dale Tayloe, Director
Davis Horton, Conservation Chair
Vacant, Work Day Contact
Steve Veysey, Coordinator of Fisheries & Environmental Protection
Don Otto, The Flyline Editor
Don Otto, Website Administrator
Ryan Maas, Deer Tag Coordinator
Who We Are
Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association (HFFA) holds events and provides resources for people interested in fly fishing, fly tying and fish habitat conservation. We are an Iowa-based affiliate of Fly Fishers International.
Would you like to support the mission of Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association? Please consider becoming a member or making a donation.